Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday Afternoon Excitement

Hi all - The last 24 hours have been awesome.  Sam seems to be improving in leaps and bounds at least to me, his mom.  It's the small things that I notice and am so very happy about.  When he is asked where he is and he says the hospital whereas yesterday it was China or his grandfather's living room; watching him hold his water bottle with his left hand and open it with his right when yesterday (yes just yesterday) he could not hold onto objects let alone turn open the top of a water bottle with a straw in it. You can tell his thought process is getting increasingly better each day also.  This morning Sam asked his grandmother why he was in the hospital and she told him because he was in a car accident.  He answered back, "Yes, but give me another reason".  Her reply was so he could get stronger.  He didn't seem to think an accident was enough to have him here. 
 
I don't know why God's power amazes me but it does and I have been given the wondrous opportunity to see Him in action.  As I share these notes of progress I want to remind all that read this blog that Sam does not realize what he can't do, so when I see him progressing and improving I try not to make too much of it.  I silently praise God and feel His presence surrounding us and truly know we are not alone and we could not be doing this without God's gracious love.  
 
Sam still gets frustrated and agitated when he has trouble doing a task he knows he has done in the past and doesn't know why he can't do it now, and when you try to help him he pushes you away and tells you to stop, "I can do it".  The nights are harder for him as he is tired from the activities of the day.
 
His friends Stefani and Erika and Erika's mom Debbie left a little while ago and they had a good visit.  Sam is asleep now and looks like an angel but we all know he is a bit sassy, stubborn, and independent all qualities that have helped him progress so well.
 
Our family thanks all of you who have sent words of encouragement and love.  When Sam is feeling better we will be reading all the blogs and comments.  I know they will help him in the recovery process.
 
God bless, Stephanie
 
 

1 comment:

Campbell in NYC said...

Stephanie,

What glorious great news! My heart is singing today for Sam and you all who have been so constant and gentle with him. How great that he is asking for a better reason to be in the hospital! He is truly a fabulous spirit. Thank you for sharing the tiny (huge!) details of his recovery.

Love continuing,

Campbell