Monday, August 4, 2008

August 3, 2008

This first post has some background, and something of a description of the accident. Don't expect long winded posts from me or anyone else here. But I thought a little more narrative in this first post might "set the scene."

Sam's brother and mom were in China; Cameron having earned the opportunity to play with his high school band in the Olympic village and some other venues in Beijing. This left Sam footloose and fancy free. Naturally we Echols (cousin, aunt, uncle) decided to invite Sam to visit with us for the weekend. Saturday, we spent the afternoon at the Red Bull Flugtag on the Portland waterfront. Later in the evening, we attended as the Portland Beavers baseball team trounced the Albuquerque Isotopes.

Sunday, we all slept in, had waffles for breakfast, and it was time to take Sam back home. Since the weather was clearing and warming, he and I hopped into the Miata and headed down the road. It was a pretty uneventful trip as far as we got. Plenty of Uncle Patton throwing out ideas for Sam's Flugtag team.

Here's the part where the story gets fuzzy for me. This is not a definitive rendition, not all I remember and there is so much that happened that I do not remember.

About 4 miles outside of Woodburn, I was driving in the fast lane with traffic. It was not very heavy traffic, but not light either, and the far left was overtaking slower cars. From my right, a brown 4 door merged suddenly into my lane and I swerved to avoid a collision. Unfortunately, the hard shoulder had gravel and soon I was down the bank into the soft gravel. Though I attempted to steer back up to the road surface, I could not get the tires to grip and we hit the cable barrier in the median. The next thing I remember there were firefighters on the scene, airbags had blown and there was lots of blood.

Since I am posting, you can probably tell that I am ok. I have some staples in my scalp, rug burn from the airbag, have lost a fair amount of blood and I am predicted sore for awhile. Unfortunately, since I had my own issues, I am probably not the best person to ask, but here is what I know so far, to be updated by those who know better.

Sam's injuries are more serious. The left side of his forehead hit something, we're not sure what. He has a laceration near his left eye and that entire area is swollen and bruised. He also has a fracture to his scull. Most seriously, he has trauma to his brain which has caused it to swell and there is a risk of more swelling. At the moment, he is sedated into a coma, breathing with the help of a ventilator and restrained so that he will not pull out his tubes. There are monitors to measure the pressure inside his scull and if it gets too high, surgery may be needed to relieve the pressure. Basically, it is wait and see for now.

While that sounds perfectly awful, and it is, there is some good news. First, Sam is young, strong and healthy. Second, the doctors periodically reduce the level of his sedation to see how he is doing. He has been able to respond to some voice requests, wiggle fingers and toes and his movements are described as purposeful and coordinated. (While I was there he tried to scratch himself on the chest a couple of times, too bad about that pillow in the way.) Third, Sam's brain pressure is on the lower end of the troublesome scale. All of these things are in his favor.

Also in his favor, as of this posting, mom and bro have arrived from china and the rest of the family is rallying to stay at his side. For those of you who would like to come visit, please don't! While Sam would surely appreciate your support, he is in ICU and they just plain won't let you in. I'm sure that Sam would not want you to make the trip and not be able to see him. However your prayers and well wishes are all appreciated.

-- Patton

9 comments:

Ann Wunsch said...

Hello. Ann Wunsch here. Stephanie, Cameron and Sam and Uncle Patton: The WCS family is praying for you all. I am sending updates out to all the newsletter distribution lists I have and to all the alumni emails I have. People are emailing and calling to say they are praying and want to do ANYTHING they can to help from food to cleaning house to...you name it.I plan to contact Morningstar today to let them know of the offers to help. You are all very well loved and heaven is being stormed with prayers day and night. Sam, we know you are ornery enough to get through this and remember how much we all care and love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam. Mrs. Dobson here... Just want you to know our whole family is praying and my husband Dan, who is on the WCS school board, talked with Jerry about a school wide call to prayer. My devotion yesterday quoted the verse, "If you have a firm relying trust and do not doubt even if you say to this mountain be taken up and cast into the sea, it will be done. And whatever you ask for, in prayer, having faith and really believing, you will receive. Matt 21:21-22.
We are asking for your health and full recovery. God's still in control. When you get well enough I will come see you and sneak in a big Coke for you(maybe), and I'm sure I'll have my Diet Coke. XO to your mom and brother too. MRS.D.

Unknown said...

Hello Sam, Stephanie and Cameron, We are lifting you up in prayer as are many others! We know that all things work for good to those who trust HIM!!! Proverbs 3:5 says to Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths. We'll keep checking the blog to watch as you get BETTER. Chloe sends a special hello! Mary and Chloe Buzzell

Anonymous said...

Sam, Stephanie, and Cameron--the entire Schutz family is praying for a speedy recovery and God's covering on your family during this time! We love you all and are glad to have this post to direct our prayers very specifically for your needs.

Love you all!

Jan, Bill, Melissa and Cassie Schutz

Anonymous said...

Hey Sam!! I hope you will be getting better soon!!! We wanted to visit you but I know the icu won't let us. We will keep praying for you!!
~Emily Weber

Anonymous said...

Hey Sam and Huntting family,
Just wanted to let you know that you are in our prayers! You are so loved and have the support of so many great people. God is watching over you now. If you need anything, we're here for you. In God, anything is possible.
Love the Wagers/Oliverson family
Sheli, Doug, Jordan, Corbin, Landon, Carsen, and Harrison

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Just letting you know that were all praying and hoping for the best results. Knowing Sam since preschool makes this very dramatic to our lives.

Barb, Rich & Ellyn Hilts

Anonymous said...

Sam, Stephanie and Cameron, I just wanted to say my prayers and thoughts are with you. My heart goes out to you Stephanie. My kids are about the same age as yours and I don't know how I would handle something like this. You are stong, and I admire your spirt and strength. Keep the faith!
Nancy Pine

Campbell in NYC said...

Hey Sam, Pat, K, Amanda, Stephanie and Cam and all other West-coasters,

Campbell here, just checking in and sending you love and healing, as so many others are doing. If Love and Prayer is the fuel of Healing Energy in the Universe; then Sam is certainly surrounded and held in a spectacularly large pair of Divine Hands! As other's have mentioned, I also have faith in Good Orderly Direction in the recovery process. And, while the activity of healing may not look the way I think it should (or be as easy as we all would wish), I believe a God of HEALING is on this with the best possible outcome for Sam and all who surround him with such outstanding love and devotion.

Thanks Patton for setting up this blog.

Peace and love to you all,

Campbell Echols, NYC