Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tuesdays with Vinnie

Sam, Stephanie and I were a bit out of sorts this morning.

Sam had a difficult time waking up fully and I think he would’ve opted to go back to bed after breakfast had the choice been his. Stephanie had a restless night and we both rolled, not jumped, out of bed feeling every one of our ‘boomer’ aches and pains. I also woke up discombobulated… Where was I? What day was it? Was I dreaming about wild animals or was I really back in Africa? Did I have to go to work or could I play?

Getting a three-day weekend is not without its hazards.

Then, Vinnie arrived and I knew it was Tuesday, that I was at Emanuel Children’s Hospital, and there were likely no actual wild animals in the vicinity (except, maybe, that one nurse…).

Vinnie enthusiastically shook Stephanie’s hand when introduced and even showed us his fancy footwork. Too bad Sam was already off to speech therapy and missed, once again, making Vinnie’s acquaintance. I think they’ll become fast friends when they eventually meet.

Vinnie can’t drive, so his best friend Harriet brings him every Tuesday to Emanuel to visit the dozens of children in the pediatric and school-aged inpatient programs. He doesn’t’ care about their diagnoses or their prognoses; he’s quite content to leave that to the fabulous doctors, nurses, techs and social workers. His job is to touch the heart and that he does. Ten fold.

Vinnie always looks so well put together with his security badge and ID, tailored lab coat, and perfectly styled hair. And, although he’s a volunteer, you can tell he’s a professional and that he takes his job seriously. Harriet was telling us that Vinnie also visits four eldercare homes each week to spread cheer to the aging.

Harriet said she’s going on 80 years and bringing Vinnie to his weekly rounds keeps her young. So, not only do the kids, the elders, the families and the professionals receive the benefits of Vinnie’s special medicine, so does Harriet.

Vinnie and Harriet have been inseparable for Vinnie’s entire life; all 5 years of it. Vinnie is diminutive in stature but not in oomph. Although I generally resist describing people by their physical and genetic characteristics, it’s probably helpful for you to know that Vinnie is an angel in a dog’s body. He’s a mix of small breed dogs but I’ve forgotten what Harriet told us.

Suffice it to say that Vinnie made both Stephanie and I forget our aches, pains and fatigue this morning. We stroked his soft fur and laughed when he performed for treats. It was a great way to start this short week.

If it’s Vinnie, it must be Tuesday.

-- Aunt Dart (Karylinn)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As i have said before i just love reading the blogs. i will read it 3-4 times a day just because i can.I love hearing the progress that he makes, and of course his text messages always make my day waking up and knowing he is always there to talk to. Starting school wihtout sam is hard. I was so excited to hear that he would be going to sprague with me its hard to see him not there. But he doesnt ever let me go a day without the remider that he will be there soon and he isnt far away.
Of course we all wish he could be at home and in the comfert of sleeping in his own bed and around his frineds but we also have to know being there is helping him in amazing ways. I thank everyone there who has helped him. I dont know what i would do without that kid. I cant wait to see him... but until then ill be happy with his daily text that make my day :) As for many others, he is my hero and i make sure that he knows that.


thanks again! to everyone!

you guys are ALWAYS in my prayers.

love,
stefani shumate :)

Anonymous said...

hi sam & clan- i was so excited to learn that sam is doing so well and that he has even gone home! keep up the hard work!
BTW i really like the "light in the attic" blog- it made sense and touched me. i may use that in my own practice to help others.
come and see us when things are less crazy. jenrn 7a