Friday, September 5, 2008

If it's Friday, then Sam goes home one week from today!

Yes, you read correctly. Sam's faith, strength, sense of humor, and his body's amazing recovery have put him on the discharge list for September 12, 2008. This is truly exciting and we all are looking forward to having Sam home. I must be quick to remind myself and everyone that have been our prayer warriors that this is the beginning of our next journey. Sam will continue his occupational, speech, and physical therapies in Salem. No date has been setup for surgery to put the skull piece back in and we don't know when he will start school.

Everyday I see changes and steps in his recovery. I notice right away his evolving sense of humor and tactics to "get" to me. He has always been able to convince me that he is upset with me over something I have said or done just by a look or a response to me, and I believe he is really upset even if it is a really small thing. He then cracks up laughing over how he got me again. Well he did that on Wednesday and I knew Sam had checked off another step in his recovery "he can now mess with his mom and laugh about it."

He has a long way to go to full recovery and we really don't even know what that means. The brain after an injury a full recovery is different in every patient that has suffered a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). We can gauge his potential by where he was before the accident, or maybe he will be even better if the accident has given him a extra jolt of brilliance. What we don't know how far he will go. We are all praying for 100% recovery. I, and I believe I speak for many others, am thrilled he is alive and here to worry about not remembering the accident.

There are and have been so many "little" things I see that show me "our Sam" is awakening. Last night he put his hand on the soft spot to itch his scalp and I almost jumped out of my seat. I thought he was more upset with me until he said that his head itched and he wasn't going to hurt himself. I pointed out there was less than 1/8 of an inch thick, I have since found out it is about 1/10 of an inch thick, and he had to be gentle. He got that serious look and then started laughing, we cracked up, and laughed over the prospect of him poking his finger through his skin which of course he would not do.

He wants to get started on his new path and is excited to be going home. He would go home today if he could, which almost happened due to our health care providers "policies". Our doctor took the wheel and got it fixed that we would leave on our original date and not a week early. Thank you Dr. Steve.

Take care and God bless, because without God, the doctor's knowledge, our nurses' patience, love, and humor, everyone's prayers, and Sam's great spirit I don't believe any of this would be possible.

Stephanie/Mom

P.S. Some would say this is not the right forum but here I go anyway. I found out yesterday a dear friend is dying of pancreatic and liver cancer. Sam and Cam know him and remember the Halloween he carved pumpkins for them. Without his gentle strength and quiet love I may not have grown into the strong mom I am today. He encouraged me to always put my boys first, love them to death, and remember my time would come when I had them raised and they were starting families of their own that I would be able to live my own life. My friend, I will miss you and you will be in my heart always. As you all pray for Sam please add a prayer for this "good man", his family, and all of those whose lives he has touched as we struggle with a journey where our memories are the happy ending and we thank God for those.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Sam and all his extended family.
My connection is through your Uncle Patton and Gresham Rotary. I have been keeping tabs on your progress and keep you on my prayer list. Today's report is very special and want you to know there are many others not known to you that have been praying and asking about your recovery. I wish you continued healing from inside to outside and know you have more hospital time when the Dr's put your head back together, but you have been blessed to get to this stage. Continue the good fight and in time I hope you will be able to come to a Rotary meeting and be recognized by our members for the inspiration you have exhibited in your battle to survive. May God's healing spirit be with you. John Harrold

Anonymous said...

Stef, Cameron and Mostly Sam. I am so happy to read the great news. I haven't had a chance lately to check in, and I felt such a relief. I am so thankful for the Lords blessing on Sam. See you all soon.

Anonymous said...

i cry of joy when i hear just the little things remiding me of sam... of how he is still here. walking, laughing, talking...and just being the sam we all know and love to death. life has its rough spots.but its the pain that makes the joy so much more of a gift.

i know thats true for me. :)

love always
stefani shumate.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Campbell in NYC said...

Hey Sam,

What a great story of triumph you are~! Your life is truly a powerful example of experience, strength and hope that I know others in your future will be inspired by, as so many of us already are.

I too, rejoice in your recovery and your transition home for the next phase of your healing, and realize you are probably going to have more than a little adjusting to do. Please know prayers from NYC and all of us East-coasters are going with you! I imagine, there will be days ahead when you may wonder in frustration why you can't 'just get back to normal' and patients from you will seem difficult to muster. In those times, I hope you will be able to pause (just a little) to realize how God has taken you far beyond the 'normal' to a higher understanding of what this life is truly about. Sam, you are already so dear to so many, and you are now one of those extra-ordinary people who will forever remind the rest of us - simply due to the fact that you have come through this experience with such amazing grace -never to be complacent about our lives.

God bless you, Sam, and know that love for you is continuing now and always,

Campbell
(Uncle Patton's younger sister)