Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October 29 Update

Well Sam/we made it through the last eight days pretty well.  I remember when Sam's desire and goal were to get the surgery done and have his head whole.  Now its get those darn stitches out.  Most of us have had stitches at some time in our life from a single stitch to many stitches, maybe even more than Sam's 48 stitches.  Those of you who have had multiple stitches will sympathize with Sam.  One or two stitches itch a bit and can be tolerated.  A day doesn't go buy that at least half to all of his stitches are itching.  This is a good thing as it shows they are healing and there is no infection which can also be determined if we look closely at his head.  I do this quite frequently to Sam's dismay. 
 
Sometimes I'm just watching Sam in total awe at doing a simple thing like watching t.v. and other times I am checking out the forehead to left ear incision that looks like a horseshoe on my son's head.  Many times not really looking for anything, just looking.  His peripheral vision is great and he sees me and lets me know with a simple "Yes, mom what is it"?
 
There have been glitches in Sam's rehab and tutoring.  Upon entering Doernbecher last week Salem Hospital released him from their care which means his neuro surgeon must authorize him to continue/start with rehab.  Our tutoring request came back from drs. authorizing Sam to start school.  This is good except the school and I feel that at this point in the semester it would be better to have him tutored for the remainder of this semester.  Maybe we're wrong.    I am questioning that decision now.  He so wants to be a part of something more than stuff at home, and I get that.  There are some classes he will not be able to catch up in but then he isn't sitting doing any better here waiting for the wheels of bureaucracy stop and start like they are.   
 
Okay, I see that this is not so much specifically about Sam today but about the things that make up his life.  I believe I needed to write this to help me his mom see the big picture and that is what is best for Sam, not necessarily what is easiest for him.
 
Thank you for all your prayers and silent guidance as Sam and us, his family, continue on our journey through these unknown waters of recovery after a TBI.
 
God bless you all,
 
Stephanie/Mom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things are healing good for Sam, but it sounds like you are healing as well. To be able to voice your thoughts and listen to yourself is a good thing, weather it is what you want (the easy way)or just realizing what's best for Sam. I know God will lead you down the right path. We are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

That is great news to hear that Sam is getting to do school! ......and hmm.............i know he was not one to like getting up for school :)

We continue to pray for him at school!

Ann Wunsch