Wednesday, November 18, 2009

How time flies when Sam is great!

Five months have come and gone.  I won't try to write a diary about Sam, just the update as I remember, oh I am almost 52 so give me a break.
 
 
The summer seemed to fly by so very fast but for Sam it was slow.  He tried to do yard work but it didn't last long as as being out in the heat was too much for his head/body even with a hat on.  He took his meds, drank plenty of water, and rested in the shade yet it wasn't enough. 
 
Sam also signed up for waterpolo for Sprague H.S. but after the first practice in an outdoor pool in the heat he had a major migraine and was in bed for the next day or two.  I am proud of him for trying, and try he did.  I've never seen a kid work so hard not just to keep up with the other swimmers but to do more than them.  As we all know, he is a survivor and a fighter but his body is in control and let him know that it wasn't the right time to start such a strenuous sport.
 
He started back to school fulltime in September but almost immediately the migraines started full force and daily.  It got to the point where he was out of school more than in.  We saw his neurologist and it was decided to start Sam on Fiorocet, an antiseizure medication that as a secondary effect helps stop migraines before they start.  Three weeks later Sam had only had one migraine and three weeks after that he hadn't had any more.  I am very happy to say that as of November 24 Sam has only had two migraines and with his meds (not oxy) they went away pretty quickly.  Oh, I forgot he hasn't taken any pain pills (oxy) since he started on the Fiorocet.  Halleluiah!
 
We did have to cut back Sam's school schedule since he missed so much especially in German.  He is taking Algebra, Biology, and English Comp and is doing well in all of them.  It took him a while but he has completed all the class work he missed when he was home.  His teachers have been great and he was able to turn the work in promptly but at his own pace and still keep up with the current work.
 
He is also taking weight training and loves it.  He is very proud of himself for the steps he has taken to get into shape after a year of not doing a lot of physical activity.
 
Sam has come so far in so many areas.  I remember when he started school in February 09 how I was checking the school's website to make sure he was staying caught up in his work.  He would check occasionally but often forgot.  Now he checks almost daily and then comes to me to let me know where he is at.
 
He is starting physical therapy today.  He was having knee pains and his orthopedist and we decided that after the year of not running or physical activity his muscles and body needed some help getting going.  Sam's leg muscles are especially tight and if they are not loosened up then more injuries could occur and we definitely don't want that. 
 
He's still in vision therapy.  He has three more visits and then a full vision checkup to see how he is doing.  I know he his tired of therapy especially now that he's in school.  Some of the exercises really tire out his eyes and then all of him.  He's still wearing glasses for up close and computer work, and there are times I have to remind him to wear them, usually when he is playing a game on a hand-held game. 
 
Well I'm sure there's more but I need to get ready to take Sam to school.  He is walking home pretty often but I take him and then run errands. 
 
Daily I thank God for His grace in saving Sam.  I will never forget how close we came to losing Sam but have finally come to see that reliving that tragedy has kept me from healing, which is not good for Sam either.  My favorite Bible verse is Proverbs 3:5-6.
 
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
      And He shall direct[a] your paths.
 
To all of our friends, family, and supporters, thank you so very much and bless you for your prayers, thoughts, and love, without all of you this would have been a very lonely journey.
 
Sam's Mom/Stephanie
 

      
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Becky said...

Praise God! So happy for Sam and for you!

Anonymous said...

It's only 4 months since you posted and I'm just now responding. I know I don't need to explain - you know me too well. You are all doing an amazing job supporting one another. We are very proud of you. My newest mantra is: (I may have already shared it with you)
The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. Love you! Dart